Fall of the Jedi (92 BBY - 19 BBY)
92 - 40 BBY
Some of you may be wondering why on Mustafar this book goes here. Asajj Ventress is on the cover and her story takes place during the Clones Wars era. This book does begin and end just before that time but the vast majority of the story takes place in flashbacks, going all the way back to when Dooku was a youngling and his buddy Sifo called him "Doo."
To stay in chronological order, you can stick to the flashbacks by following the instructions below. This list will also incorporate flashbacks from our next entry, Master & Apprentice.
LEGENDS SUGGESTION: I'm also going to provide instructions on Parts 1 and 2 of Darth Plagueis.
FYI- Dooku: Jedi Lost doesn't have "Chapters" but instead has groups of "Scenes" in its table of contents, which is why they are described as such below. Also, these flashbacks contain minimal narration by the present-day characters, mostly Dooku & Ventress.
Here are the chronological instructions:
1. Scenes 3-9, 10, and 11-13 (Dooku is 10, which is 92 BBY)
2. Scenes 14-17 starting at minute 8:23 through the end of the chapter and all subsequent chapters until you get to Scenes 30-33, minute 6:26 (Dooku is 13, 89 BBY).
3. Scenes 34-37 starting at minute 9:01 through the end of the chapter and all subseuqent chapters until you get to Scenes 46-49, minute 10:18 (Dooku is 18, 84 BBY)
4. Scenes 50-53 starting at minute 0:00 (beginning of chapter) and all subsequent chapters until you get to Scenes 67-71, minute 9:03.
5. DARTH PLAGUEIS INTERLUDE: Listen to all of Part 1 (Chapters 1-12), which take place between 67-65 BBY.
6. Continue Dooku: Jedi Lost where we left off, at Scenes 67-71, minute 9:03 and continue through Scenes 72-81, minute 7:50.
7. MASTER & APPRENTICE INTERLUDE: Listen to the first three flashbacks in this book, which take place at: a) Chapter 6, minute 13:10 through the end of the chapter; b) Chapter 9, minute 14:52 through the end of the chapter; and c) Chapter 10, minute 2:09 through Chapter 10, minute 4:18.
8. Continue Dooku: Jedi Lost where we left off, at Scenes 72-81, minute 7:50, and continue until you get to Scenes 82-87, minute (8:37).
9. MASTER & APPRENTICE INTERLUDE: Listen to the 4th and 5th flashbacks in this book, which take place at: a) Chapter 16, minute 11:58 up through Chapter 16, minute 17:20; and b) Chapter 24, minute 14:26 through the end of the chapter.
10. Continue Dooku: Jedi Lost where we left off, at Scenes 82-87, minute 8:37, and continue until you get to Scenes 96-98, minute 8:29.
11. MASTER & APPRENTICE INTERLUDE: Listen to the 6th and 7th flashbacks in this book, which take place at: a) Chapter 27, minute 15:38 through the end of the chapter; and b) Chapter 35, minute 23:34 through the end of the chapter. This concludes the M&A flashback scenes.
12. DARTH PLAGUEIS INTERLUDE: Listen to all of Part 2 (Chapters 13 - 21), which take place between 55-54 BBY.
13. Skipping over some of the present-day story, we pick up Dooku: Jedi Lost at Scenes 99-101 starting at minute 4:59 through the end of the chapter and all subsequent chapters until you get to Scenes 126-128, minute 5:28. That concludes the flashback portions of both Dooku: Jedi Lost and Master & Apprentice.
Master & Apprentice
As we just covered the flashbacks, here is how you can just stick to the present-day story being told in 40 BBY...
1. Chapter 1, minute 0:00, through Chapter 6, minute 13:10.
2. Chapter 7, minute 0:00, through Chapter 9, minute 14:52.
3. Chapter 10, minute 0:00, through Chapter 10, minute 2:09.
4. Chapter 10, minute 4:18, through Chapter 16, minute 11:58
5. Chapter 16, minute 17:20, through Chapter 24, minute 14:26.
6. Chapter 25, minute 0:00, through Chapter 27, minute 15:38.
7. Chapter 28, minute 0:00, through Chapter 35, minute 23.34.
8. Chapter 36, minute 0:00, through the end of Chapter 39.
NOTE: Save the last chapter (No. 40) for later in the marathon. Specifically, we'll listen to it towards the end of the Darth Plagueis / Episode 1 Mashup.
Darth Plagueis Part 3 (LEGENDS)
34 - 32 BBY
Cloak of Deception (LEGENDS)
This is where things get a little hairy, especially with the addition of Queen's Peril. So I'm combining all of the above titles into one entry and I'll break down where to jump from one to the next. Keep an eye out for the Interlude from Queen's Shadow. But first, a couple house-cleaning matters...
Continuity Check: There are certain events in Dooku: Jedi Lost and Master & Apprentice that contradict events in Darth Plagueis, specifically how and when Dooku left the Jedi Order. And Queen's Peril further contradicts Plagueis in even more ways, most notably with respect to the queen's predecessor. Don't let that discourage you, Plagueis is a masterpiece deserving of many listens as its so rich in content. We covered Parts 1 and 2 of Darth Plagueis earlier during our Dooku: Jedi Lost entry. So now we'll pick up with Part 3 as follows:
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapters 22 - 25.
Listen to Cloak of Deception, Chapters 1-3.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 26 (entire chapter).
Listen to Cloak of Deception, Chapter 4 - Chapter 5, 35:50.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 27 (entire chapter).
Listen to Queen's Peril, the unnumbered chapters: Strength, Cunning, etc. NOTE- Skip over these as you come upon them later.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapters 1-5.
Listen to Cloak of Deception, Ch 5, 35:50 - End of Book.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 28, 0:00 - 14:04.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapters 6-12.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 28, 14:04 - 30:55.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapters 13 - 16.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 28, 30:55 - Chapter 29, 6:07.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 17, 0:00 - 6:22.
Begin Episode 1 and watch it through when Qui-Gon, Obi Wan and Jar Jar arrive in Theed (21:34).
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 17, 6:22 - End of Chapter.
QUEEN'S SHADOW INTERLUDE: Listen to the Preface of this book in its entirety.
Watch Episode 1, 21:34 - End of blockade run (27:12).
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 18, 0:00 - 7:40.
Watch Episode 1, 27:12 - Just before Padme meets Anakin (32:23).
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 18, 7:40 - Chapter 19, 6:21.
Watch Episode 1, 32:23 - Sidious says to Maul, "they will be no match for you." (40:47).
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 29, 6:07 - 9:31.
Watch Episode 1, 40:47 - Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan discuss Anakin's Midi-Chlorian count (51:11).
Listen to Queen's Peril , Chapter 19, 6:21 - End of Chapter.
Watch Episode 1, 51:10 - Anakin giving Padme the Japor Snippet (1:20:25).
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 29, 9:31 - 13:00.
Watch Episode 1, 1:20:25 - Anakin trying to say goodbye to Padme (1:26:43).
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 29,13:00 - End of Chapter.
Watch Episode 1, 1:26:43 - Queen's departure back to Naboo / Qui-Gon & Anakin's talk on the platform (1:36:52).
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 30, 0:00 - 5:40.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 20, 0:00 - 9:41.
Watch Episode 1, 1:36:52 - Queen's Ship lands on Naboo / Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan make up (1:39:06).
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 20, 9:41 - End of Chapter 22.
Watch Episode 1, 1:38:27 - "Wipe them out, all of them." (1:45:03).
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 23 (entire chapter)
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Chapter 30, 5:40 - End of Chapter.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, Prologue (entire chapter)
Watch Episode 1, 1:45:03 - Padme says "We will discuss a new treaty." (2:01:20)
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 24 (entire chapter)
Watch Episode 1, 2:01:20 - Qui-Gon's Death (2:05:12).
MASTER & APPRENTICE INTERLUDE: Listen to the entire epilogue (Chapter 40).
Watch Episode 1, 2:05:12 - End of Movie.
Listen to Queen's Peril, Chapter 25, 0:00 - 4:05.
Listen to Darth Plagueis, the entire epilogue.
Forces of Destiny
S2E10: Monster Misunderstanding
This is the first entry from the Forces of Destiny series and it takes place shortly after the events of The Phantom Menace. Click on the blue link above to view the episode on YouTube.
(Prologue & Epilogue)
The prologue and epilogue of this book are flashbacks prior to the Clone Wars.
Continuity Check Part 1: The time given on this flashback is "Three Decades Ago" which would put this at about 24 BBY. However, Aftermath: Empire's End has another flashback titled "25 Years Ago" and yet the two flashbacks are supposed to be 10 years apart! Because "decades" is a more approximate term, I'm pushing the date back to 29 BBY, which would make it 35 Years Ago.
Continuity Check Part 2: In the epilogue, Palpatine refers to himself as an Emperor about 5-10 years before the Empire's rise no matter how you slice it. But he's a Sith lord with great foresight so we can assume he was intentionally referring to his future position.
This Legends novel takes place a few years after The Phantom Menace. Tarkin gets his first prominent role in our marathon and he solicits/extorts the help of his old friend Raith Sienar, who gets his only appearance in the marathon. Although his company, Sienar Fleet Systems is mentioned regularly.
Continuity Check: This story is strongly connected to the plot line in The New Jedi Order, which is a Legends series about the Yuuzhan Vong extra-galactic invasion. However, they never mention the Vong by name in this book. So you can just pretend they are talking about the Grysk or some other invader from the Unknown Regions.
We covered the Preface of this book earlier so we can skip that now and just listen to the rest of this book in its entirety.
Exact Placement Unknown
We covered the flashbacks of this book earlier, which makes up the majority of the book. Now, we're going to focus on the present-day story of the book, which we know takes place before the Episode II but, exactly where I cannot say. Here are the instructions for sticking with the present-day story.
1. Scenes 1-2, minute 0:00 through end of chapter.
2. Scenes 14-17, minute 0:00 through 8:23.
3. Scenes 30-33, minute 6:26 through end of chapter then continue with Scenes 34-37 up through minute 9:01.
4. Scenes 46-49, minute 10:18 through end of chapter.
5. Scenes 96-98, minute 8:29 through end of chapter then continue with Scenes 99-101 up through minute 4:59.
6. Scenes 126-128, minute 5:28 through the end of the book.
"Begun the Clone War has."
Exact Placement Unknown
There are 13 "memory" chapters in this book that span from Thrawn's childhood up through his adult life. This is a good place to start listening to them as, if you're like me, you may want more audiobook material for your commutes as you make your way through the early part of the Clone Wars.
Clone Wars: Season 1 (2003)
This was the original Clone Wars TV series and it has since been regulated to Legends material but it picks up right after Attack of the Clones. Anakin is still Obi-Wan's apprentice and they're combative dynamic continues.
For chronological purposes, you should stop watching this after Season 2, Chapter 1 of the DVD. We'll pick up with the rest of Season 2 later in the marathon. But by getting this far we get to see Anakin's transition from Padawan to Jedi Knight, which is how we find him in our next entry.
Continuity Check: The introduction to Ventress in this series contradicts events in Dooku: Jedi Lost. I've considered scrapping this entry for that reason but the introduction to General Grievous and Anakin's promotion to Knight still make this worthwhile IMO.
(TV Series & Movie)
22 - 19 BBY
We're lumping the TV series and movie together with this entry because two episodes of the series take place before events in the movie. The first 3 seasons of the series jumps around a lot chronologically so it is best to consult the list at StarWars.com. Be sure to start consulting our ROTS guide below once you get to Season 7, Episode 9, "Old Friends Not Forgotten."
This Legends novel doesn't add much to the overall saga besides a backstory on Windu, but if you still need more audiobook material while you're making your way through the first 3 seasons of Clone Wars, then this is a decent option. Fans of Heart of Darkness / Apocalypse Now should enjoy this jungle tale.
22 - 21 BBY
Under the Instant Action Mode of Battlefront II, there are various maps you can play that line up with various moments throughout the Saga. You can play them contemporaneously with their respective battles to feel even more immersed in the action. The Clone Wars era maps are as follows:
1. Naboo: Play contemporaneously with episodes 117 - 118 of the Clone Wars.
2. Geonosis; Play contemporaneously with episodes 205 - 206 of the Clone Wars.
3. Kamino; Play contemporaneously with episode 302 of the Clone Wars.
(Clone Wars Era; Chapters 1-11)
21 - 19 BBY
This Rogue One companion novel begins over a year after Attack of the Clones and then it takes you up to and beyond Revenge of the Sith. For that reason, it is best to break this one up. You can start the book anytime after Season 3, Episode 20 of The Clone Wars and then you will want to stop after completing Chapter 11. We'll pick up from there later on.
Forces of Destiny
S1E4: The Padawan Path
S1E6: The Imposter Inside
S1E12: Teach You I Will
S1E13: The Starfighter Stunt
S2E2: Unexpected Company
The first of these animated shorts, The Padawan Path, is set between Season 3, Episodes 4 - 10 of The Clone Wars. The remaining four, The Imposter Inside, Teach You I Will, The Starfighter Stunt, and Unexpected Company are all set between Season 5, Episodes 9 - 17 of The Clone Wars. Click on the blue links above to view each episode on YouTube.
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir
This Legends comic picks up immediately after the events in Clone Wars Season 5, Episode 16: The Lawless, which ended on such a cliffhanger and was never addressed before the series was cancelled. As a result, the beginning of this comic serves as a vital component of Maul's story.
Continuity Check: The end of this series directly conflicts with an episode in "The Lost Season" of the Clone Wars, specifically Season 6, Episode 9: The Disappeared Part 2.
We did all the Memories chapters of Chaos Rising earlier, so at this point we will just focus on the present day story chapters, which you just do in order until you get to the point where it intersects with the Clone Wars Era of Thrawn: Alliances.
Thrawn: Alliances runs between two main story-lines: a present day story set during the Rebels series, and a flashback story set sometime after Season 5 Episode 20 of the The Clone Wars: The Wrong Jedi. So while you can start Chaos Rising a little earlier in the Clone Wars, you definitely wanted to watch The Wrong Jedi before you get to Chapter 17 as that is where Thrawn: Alliances comes into play. Here is how it goes...
1. Listen to Chaos Rising until you get to Chapter 17, 10:56.
2. Listen to Thrawn: Alliances' 2nd Prologue (there are two).
3. Listen Thrawn: Alliances Chapter 5, 0:00 - 27:50.
4. Listen Thrawn: Alliances Chapter 7 (entire chapter).
5. Listen to Chaos Rising where we left off and finish Chapter 18.
6. Listen Thrawn: Alliances Chapter 2.
7. Listen Thrawn: Alliances Chapter Chapter 4.
8. Listen Thrawn: Alliances Chapter 5 starting at minute 27:51 and continue through the end of Chapter 6.
9. Listen to following chapters of Thrawn: Alliances in their entirety: 10-11, 14-15, 18-19 and the 1st Epilogue.
10. Pick up Choas Rising where we left off at Chapter 19 and finish the book.
Based on unfinished episodes of The Clone Wars series, this novel is shockingly intense with emotion and action. Dark Disciple can be read anytime after Season 5 Episode 20 of The Clone Wars.
22 - 21 BBY
Under the Instant Action Mode of Battlefront II, there are various maps you can play that line up with various moments throughout the Saga. You can play them contemporaneously with their respective battles to feel even more immersed in the action. Here are a couple maps you can play contemporaneously with Season 7 of the Clone Wars, just before ROTS: Kashyyyk & Felucia.
We left off at the end of Chapter 11 earlier. We can now listen to all of Chapter 12 concurrently with the entry below.
Earlier in this list we watched this series up through Season 2, Chapter 1 so you could pick this up at Chapter 2 and the story leads right up through Grievous kidnapping Chancellor Palpatine on Coruscant so its a direct lead-in to Revenge of the Sith.
Continuity Check: Clone Wars Season 7 contradicts this Legends material by changing everything about Obi-Wan and Anakin's final mission before leaving to rescue the Chancellor. My recommendation is to skip over all of those parts and just stick with Battle of Coruscant and capture of Palpatine.
The fun really starts here with Clone Wars Season 7 Episode 9, Old Friends Not Forgotten, and you feel it from the moment you see the old school Lucasfilm logo all the way through the end of the credits.
From there, we have a mashup of Revenge of the Sith the film, Revenge of the Sith the novel, the remaining episodes of The Clone Wars, and a quick comic interlude. Enjoy!
Watch The Clone Wars 709
Listen to Novel, Introduction through Ch 1, minute 36:44.
Watch Movie through R2 lighting up the Battle Droids (11:22)
Listen to Novel, Ch 2; 6:56 - Ch 3; 7:00
Watch Movie through "His fate will be the same as ours." (15:23)
Listen to Novel, Ch 5; 8:24 - End of Chapter 5.
Watch Movie through "Happiest Moment of My Life." (27:35)
Listen to Novel, Ch 8; 18:26 - 28:18
Watch Movie through "The Council is Asking You." (40:15)
Listen to Novel, Ch 11; 19:18 - 24:14
Watch Movie through "Not from a Jedi" (48:00)
Listen to Novel, Ch 12; 26:04 - Ch 13; 10:41
Watch Movie through the Council deciding to send Kenobi to fight Grievous (50:18).
Listen to Novel, Ch 13; 15:48 - 23:27
WATCH THE CLONE WARS, 710: Phantom Apprentice
Watch Movie through Obi-Wan's departure for Utapau (52:23)
Listen to Novel, Ch 14; 0:00 - 13:35
Watch Movie through "No, I promise you." (53:55)
Listen to Novel, Ch 14; 23:00 - End of Chapter.
Watch Movie through "The power to save Padme."(1:05:24)
Listen to Novel, Ch 15; 1:04:54 - 1:14:44
WATCH THE CLONE WARS: Episode 711, 0:00 - 8:18
Watch Movie through Order 66 / Yoda departs Kashyyyk (1:26:30).
WATCH THE CLONE WARS: Episode 711, 8:18 - End; AND Episode 712, 0:00 - 19:13
Watch Movie through the Emperor find Vader on Mustafar (2:03:32)
Listen to Novel, Ch 21; 0:00 - 4:40
Watch Movie through "NOOOOOOO!!!" (2:08:56)
Read Book #1 of the Vader Comic Series (See the first entry in the Reign of the Empire section).
Watch Movie through the ending.
WATCH THE CLONE WARS: Episode 712, 19:13 - End of Episode.
UP NEXT: REIGN OF THE EMPIRE